Sunday, June 13, 2010

Skateboarding is Fornever

Somehow, maybe it's just me, but somehow it seems that DC's online am project "Skateboarding is Forever" got lost in time without any real banter surrounding it. This could be for one of several reasons:

1/ It wasn't put out all at one time, and people (like me) forgot to keep checking on it
2/ It wasn't that memorable. Still very good, but not incredibly Memorable
3/ In my mind, it didn't feel like each part was finished
4/ Greg Myers

When Matt Miller, Marquise Henry and Wes Kremer's parts came out, I eagerly drooled over youtube to see them. Greg Myers..... well, crazy arms, some not-too-gnarly and somewhat boring clips.

Wes Kremer:


PROBABLY the best part of the video as far as skill. Motherfucker has so much variety it's sinful. The wallride lines are beautiful, he can rip some hard nose variations on tranny, he used the hell out of that japanese playground transition, and can Ben-Hatchell long, kinked rails. Not to mention fakie hardflipping stairs in a line, fakie nosegrind switch fs flip out, fs blunt flip to fakie off a ledge, and switch noseblunting a damn steep ditch. Usually I notice pro's stacking up on their go-to tricks, which I don't particularly mind because it helps them push everyone's limits by setting the bar higher at landmark spots (Hubba, NYC's pyramid ledge, Carlsbad.... those three come to mind as ones that have really gotten their asses kicked because of go-to tricks). But watching Wes' part..... what are his go to tricks? The only trick he did several times was backside wallride variations...

Anyways, the real point of this post revolves around another member of the DC amateur roster. I came home from work last night and my girlfriend had been watching the parts of DC's vid online, strangely. She said she liked Matt Miller's part and sat me down to replay that one. God knows why she was watching it, but I like Matt Miller alot too so I sat down and joined. Half way through she switched to Myers' part because "he's so small!" and about that time I took the computer and clicked the tantalizing Evan Smith link on the side that I had never watched or even known/heard about. Damn.



I love how his grungy, lanky style absolutely does NOT fit the DC image. But I loved this guy's part, even if he's no Wes Kremer he has a hell of a lot of personality to his skating. He also gets down on the Japanese playground, both clips of which are sickkkk and a great use of the spot. His ledge stuff is most of the gold here though, with clips like that bluntslide step up to back nosegrind on the step above, the front 180 fakie front smith that I have no idea what name to call it, and the front lip to front crook in a line.

Other notable moves:
- Kickflip feeble in Durham
- Perfect hardflip over that rail
- Feeble back 180 to flat the steep bank
- The front noseslide/180 nosebonk/fakie flip/switch heel 5-0 line (flows so good)
- Back tail nosemanny nollie flip and the final five tricks following it.

Mr. Evan Smith is another guy with tons of variety, although I noticed feebles and front noseslides pop up a few times. Regardless, each and every clip in his part was pretty much remarkable, everything fit together extremely well with the song of choice and reminded me of parts from about four years ago that stuck to you not because of how many barriers they just shattered, but how well done they were. (Flip parts, Geoff Rowley Chicagof, Kerry Getz Jump Off a Building, Janoski Inhabitants, Girl parts, McCrank eSpecial...... to name a few that stick out to me, regardless of time). Crack open a cold one and fullscreen that shit.

Oh, and I actually kind of hate 360 shuvs, I think they look rather ridiculous and ugly most of the time, but the angled rotation on his 3 shuv at the end is easily the most interesting execution of that trick I've yet to see, Shane O'Neil's Carlsbad hammer included.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this too and I was really trying to stay on top of this little am video. I'd say its like Jake Johnson and Pat Burke made a baby. As far as trick selection goes he has some techiness and heelflip oddities like Mr. Burke and then pop and an eye for the wierder spots/tricks like Jake Johnson. Clothes and lankiness like Jake Johnson, Griminess like Burke.

    I like that one line with the red shoes that just ends with a nollie tre, very Rowley esque. Like I just did a really sick trick and I'll keep throwing in stuff cause I'm just that chill about it.

    I would call that one trick a fs alley oop sugarcane. Or maybe just a fs sugarcane, it's hard to define the Oopness of it when it comes to street, since I've seen Adrian Mallory do fs sugarcanes on handrails and his seem more like the Oop way (like an overturned lipslide) where as this seems like a fs 180 5050 gone "right".

    ReplyDelete