Friday, June 11, 2010

ads, ads, ads.....

Soooo in the June issue of Skateboard Mag, I noticed two interesting sequences...... both of P-rod, and both completely related and unrelated at the same time. Both photos were of nollie back 180 front foot flips, one in an article about Tampa Pro over a hip, the other as the Plan B ad on the inside of the back cover. Two page fold-out spread. Oh yeah, and the second is down the Belmont 9. I'm not sure where he got the idea to huck this trick, but it's a good bit outside of the text-book trick selection realm that P-Rod likes to dwell in, and being a fan of late flips, I think its basically sick as fuck, especially down the nine. Perhaps P-Rod will finally start using his unlimited talent to test his imagination. I'd be hyped.

I also have to pay homage to Riley Hawk's hardflip crail grab over the ditch table top in Arizona. I have NEVER seen that trick. and it's a beauty, in all its awkwardness. I can't even grasp the idea of grabbing that trick crail. but since I haven't even hardflipped on flatground in years..... who knows. Hardflippers out there, got an opinion?

The last mag-bit I want to mention is in the July issue. I don't think I've ever been quite so hyped on a switch back 180 as I am at the one Jake Johnson does in the two page Gravis ad. Where, after popping over a pretty tall rail into a bank, he ends up in traffic with his legs under a moving car. I can't tell if the car actually hit him, or if he powerslid into it and rolled in front of it without somehow getting rolled over..... but judging from the distance he traveled on the pavement after contact with the vehicle, I'm gonna guess he at least got bumped. I'm sorry, as stupid an idea as it may seem, bombing a switch back 1 into moving traffic is gnarly. It reminded me of Karl Watson's switch ollie to hill bomb in the intro of his Kayo part where he almost gets nailed. But better. Because he actually went into multiple cars, and presumable had contact. Very, very interesting and well-done ad in my opinion. Grabs your attention, gets you hyped, and only has the Gravis symbol and name, and the word 'Jake.'. Sick.

I'd like to scan these sequences in later, but I work 10 and a half hours today/tonight so I'm probably gonna get lazy and skip that step at least until tomorrow, if not indefinitely. A better idea would be to go snag a copy of the new issue, and laugh at Dave Carnie's terrific assholery in the Mail section.

and speaking of hardflips... I've been getting hyped on some older parts lately, and I happened to notice Chet Thomas' god-knows-how-many-years-old Battalion part from the only (and hopefully only) Darkstar video ever made..... keep in mind, this was YEARS before the ledge revolution we're experiencing now, and have a watch at how seasoned ol' Chet tosses hardflip nosegrinds and fs flip nosegrinds and foolery like that. Best part to come out of that video hands down.

2 comments:

  1. Ya that sw bs 180 is by far one of the sickest things i've seen in forever check the footage here http://theskateboardmag.com/blogs/danozone/2010/05/21/jake-johnson-dodges-security/ ridicolous speed. the size of that bank going down is no joke either.

    prods 9 set sequence was quite sick , if he did a whole part with tricks of that nature i'd probably love his skating. or if he just stuck to doing really retarded ledge tricks either way.

    hardflips usually go straight up even though i never really had them down, i could see how grabbing it crail wouldn't be that hard, but i'm used to grabbing my board way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Riley's spun sideways, and he caught it kind of like some kind of vert varial variation (VVV?) as it spun into place. He snagged it around the like, 120 degree mark I think. I just have a hard time imagining my arms reaching down like that during a hardflip.

    ReplyDelete