Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Berrics Bonanza

There's a couple things from the Berrics tidal wave I feel are worth discussing. Even though it's old news somewhat by this point, Shane O'Neil's pro introduction part is still hot shit last I checked. While his steez is on point and the last half is beyond ridiculous, (*braces for hate*) the first half feels kinda lackluster, save for his perfect nollie fs flip over the bar and everything from his nollie inward heel front crook line through his gap to back tail bigspin, and then his nollie heel crook flip out, backside biggerspin (bananas, anyone?), front feeble fs bigspin, and then the bank-of-death-with-no-runup kickflip. Don't get me wrong..... I loved his part. BUT for the shit this dude is capable of, quite notably the last minute or so of his part, much of the beginning felt too easy for his skill level. Maybe it's just me, but I put this guy pretty damn close in ability to Cory Kennedy in my mind, except slightly less technical and more reeking of steez. So basically, aside from those tricks I mentioned and his opening nollie flip boardslide line, I feel like he could have had a 2 and a half minute part that absolutely blew the pants off 85% of the video-lurkers out there, paid skaters included. Instead we get a piece of Berra-profiteering with some unnecessary filler, yet a memorable and somewhat monumental part all the same. Paying for an online part? From the Berrics? A pro video debut that's not in a major release? All pretty groundbreaking.

Anyways.

Starting with his ridiculous crook variations (I have never seen a crook nollie tre on any street spot even close to as legit as that one), he pretty much rapes what I had considered plausible from a kid his age. Or anyone, for that matter, save Mr.Phenom-Kennedy. His switch back smith heelflip alone I could talk about for about three pages, since that trick is still rare regular, and back smith flips are still all the rage WITHOUT the heelflip aspect. I can't decide if I'm more a fan of that trick or of the back smith bigspin tail as far as aesthetics go. Yet the obvious ledge trick king of his part, which actually MEANS something considering the options, is that damn switch flip back tail bigflip. Which. Was. Perfect. Nuggets is also the first person to do what I'd consider a genuine backside overcrook, which I usually feel end up resulting accidentally from the problems of backside nosegrinding down a handrail.

I have to say, I'm a bit bummed his back 180 5-0 and tremendous nollie back heel (hello, Jerry Hsu...) were in his Transworld interview, not to mention I don't have many positive feelings for the angle on the latter. His ending trick.... well I would have gone with the Nollie Back Heel if I was the editor, but is that at a park? I really can't tell. Difficult: most definitely. But a flatbar ender? Didn't get my juices flowing like the nollie back heel did.

I'm scared to post the link I have since Berra apparently has been on an internet-stalking quest looking for links.

So ponder his Debacle part:

Note the ridiculous opening line. And how pretty much every clip of his is memorable. Perhaps watching this in comparison will help explain my earlier comments on some of his pro part. That nollie halfcab? switch flip front crook line? nollie flip crook nose manny? Perhaps this part is why his three shuv down Carlsbad didn't catch me by any degree of surprise.

Two things I want to mention before I move on:
- I love love love how he doesn't lose speed on some hard-ass shit. ex: the big back 3, and the switch flip back tail bigflip.
- I miss his Oakland A's hat. But now I can get one, even though I've disliked the A's since Mike Bordick came to Baltimore, circa 1997. Baseball tangent. my bad. But that green and yellow looks sick.

NOW...... the second thing, and I shall be brief. As described in Rob Dyrdek's Interview (yes, yes I know. The Skate League horse is gonna get beat in this space until its a rotting skeleton.) in the June issue of the Skateboard Mag:

(Evan's sidenote: the interview is not up to date with today's riders)

Nieratko: Who do you got so far?
Dyrdek: Chris Cole, Pudwill, Lutzka, and Sheckler
Nieratko: No more X Games or Doo Doo Tour for those guys?
Dyrdek: No.


NO?!?!?!?!?!?! This is big, BIG shit. Sheckler is the Dew Tour poster-boy. Lutzka, confined to one competition? Cole? When I was squatted on my porcelain king's throne this morning and read those words, I literally..... shit. Exclusivity contracts with pros like that may well cripple mainstream competition venues. The more I read about this Skate League, the more I like the idea. He even says "I'm splitting any merchandise revenue and any TV deals with all the riders. I want every pro to have the same contract." To go back to baseball in comparison, this ain't anything like actual competitive sports' contracts and organization. I believe Robby's got his head on straight for this one. Especially since six questions later he states "I couldn't put together a legitimate, solid part" in reference to his Mind Field part, and explains his lack-of-direction from damn Fantasy Factory as the cause. Bravo, Rob. Humble and smart all at once. At least you got that fs bluntslide ender in there.

Anyways, we shall see how this league stuff all pans out.

and speaking of Chris Nieratko, a post about him shall be up sometime this week....

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the contract excludes them from skating in tampa pro ? that would be a smack to s.p.o.t's face, then again they might be sick of seeing slutzka win every year anyway. mike mo did sw flip bs tail big out in fully fluffed equally as well(maybe slightly tic tacked if that matters), if you're going to compare him with cory kennedy it would be well to remember mr. mo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did mo do bigflip out too? i havent watched the flare in some time. but after watching enough of kennedy's shit, i feel like he has much more personality to his skating than mo, which i like. iunno, i should have included him perhaps. i just dont think as highly of him, i suppose. the tampa pro question is good. its a summer contract, if that helps...

    ReplyDelete