Thursday, January 6, 2011

Regression

So in battling my hemorrhaging muscle memory on my own shred-sled/shred-stick/push-plank/etc lately I've begun unfortunately sharking videos other people show me rather than finding my own to write about. By some twist of fate, I've been shown some pretty amazing clips in the past month, far more than I have time to write about. But, some stick in my mind, particularly recent ones, which comprise the reason for this particular post.

On a semi-related note, although it's not quite set up entirely yet, check out http://www.justgetsfuller.blogspot.com, which I'll be adding to the panel on the left side of this blog. It's an upstart video blog by my good friend Chase, who usually sends me far more video links than I can ever hope to feature or write about. So, since he posted I believe three times in a single day, give him some traffic if you're feeling an urge to watch what I find often to be hidden gems of youtube clips, sometimes of guys I've never even heard of. The layout will be finished this week hopefully? Who knows. He probably wants to borrow my laptop and work to fuck with it, so that I can't spend time planning a new update, like last week.

Anyways, Tim from Repthepep.com showed me this magnificent little coupling of talent and what I'm gonna coin as skate-mindedness. Skate-mindedness occurs in people born with brains geared heavily towards skateboarding. This does not always mean the coordination to actually skate to the specifications of their brain, ie: me. But this kid/guy/man seems to have both. I mean, if you're gonna powerslide up to a box and then immediately front crook fakie something, regardless of the difficulty of the box trick, it just looks good. Not to mention the overall mastery of his board he shows in the artsy sketch swerve and tall-ass nose stall on the fence in front of a dangerous looking little hole. The clip doesn't reek of seriousness, but if you can fakie heel switch front nosegrind frontside half-cab out on a box as absolutely solidly as this guy, it's hard not to take such goof-footage seriously. Sick song too. Queue massive heelflip frontside wallride now.

Say hello to Jordan Sanchez:



Another guy I have never personally heard of until I watched this clip but seems to have some internet notoriety, Carlos Lastra:



Guaranteed jaw-droppage in that clip. Some famous and legit spots as well. Although some things are a bit sketch (switch manny switch tre) and other things might be considered dork tricks by anyone other than Willy Santos (front shuv late flips out of manny), the kid has some serious balance and coordination. Note the rarely spotted double heelflip, which makes me wonder if that set is really that difficult to skate considering it's constant slaying in every new video (starting with supa's backside bigspin heel a couple years(?) ago). And of course the ender, which is what originally drew me to the video. Not a particularly pretty trick, but considering the textbook nature of his grass gap tre earlier in the video, his control over it is amazing.

Now for someone hopefully everyone has heard of, and loves. I believe I have featured him here before, and a nagging feeling invades my brain at the moment telling me I've posted his mag minute. But anyways, no comply 360 reverts, as in 360 revert after the 180 no comply we all know and love, along with some serious disrespect towards anything bordering on a wall make his mag minute quite a treasure, even though in the part following this it will be obvious which clips were throwaway or warm up, and for what reason.

Randy Ploesser:




And the Piece de Resistance (insert accent marks in your mind) for this post is as follows. I'm not even gonna say anything about it, other than frontside halfcab back smith. But it's easily one of the most original and enjoyable parts I've watched from any industry name in a while, and it's absence of traditional applications so abundant in other Am's video parts is refreshing to say the least. For the reader that was angered at my negative commentary on William Spencer, I believe the video below will show what I mean when I'm looking for original skateboarding.



I like original uses of a skateboard while riding it, not original uses of a skateboard in general. Though I am not against freestylers and such, I figure the thing has wheels, so not rolling around on it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I believe this is one of my most content-heavy posts in the short, quiet history of this blog. And with the exception of the mag minute, all three videos have joined my consistently re-watched youtube favorites list. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment