Sunday, August 1, 2010

Brent, Jart, and madness

Although I enjoy his laid back cruising, I'm tired of seeing Brent Atchley never try.



Other than all the clips including and following his metal halfpipe line, Brent suffers from an acute disease known as frontside-ollieitis, and I'm frankly tired of them. Where are his snappy blunt front 180s? Lightning scooped tres and nollie cabs? what about the nollie front heel disasters and general diversity that Element somehow coaxed out of him once upon a time? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Brent-hater. But damn son, give us something to watch. You aren't pro just to do the same thing over and over.

Now, in other news related to actually 'trying', we have young Cian Eades for Jart skateboards, which by the way have a pretty impressive sophistication about their website and footage for a brand I know nothing about. In the latest issue of Skateboarder, I noticed what I didn't want to believe was a sequence of a lazer double flip. I checked their website, and saw with my own eyes this:

http://jartskateboards.com/jart.tv/?p=0&v=21

(Please copy and paste, the link thing isn't working and I don't really care since I embed everything else)

I don't know if this is switch, but this looks like one of those tech-nerd tricks done wonderfully right. I'd like to see it in normal speed to fully pass a judgement, but from the looks of it I like it more than tre double flips. Hopefully we won't see it again for a while though, because I don't like how lazer flips are becoming more and more popular. I miss the feeling of 'oh, what?' when they'd pop up.

Lastly, check out this little online ditty I found involving some dudes that post on a forum I used to frequent. Tech-nerd can be applied here as well if you choose, but the results of the video are impressive and damn near jaw-dropping. Particularly considering they're just dealing with one of those lame pre-fab metal parks we've all come to know and hate.



If it doesn't hype you up, at least it's something you don't see every day. I'm trying to build an appreciation for anything that's put together with care, skateboarding/editing/filming/whatever elements that may be. I've got another one stored up too, so put on your Mullen boots and prepare for a circus trick maniac that actually has skill when rolling. Didn't know they existed?

Me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment