Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Convert to Lutheran

I watched Toy Machine's Brainwash last week and didn't get to pay attention to it like I would've liked (SAM...) but I had the pleasure of finding most of the parts on youtube today. While watching Daniel Lutheran in two separate clips I became a fan, although originally I was kinda put off by his tall socks and shorts that come out occasionally. Compare these two clips:



His mag minute, full of what you could call circus tricks. Note the kickflip foot plant on the pole, nose bonk manny, and the ball assault. The tre footplant manual and the backside powerslide(?) manny are my favorites; but the real point of showing this clip is to set up a complete 180 degree portrayal in the Toy vid:



Notice the massive backside nosebluntslide, the gnarly and tall back lipslide shuv of death, the big big big 5050 from flat followed by a massive fly out ollie, the ditch feeble, and the hip to ditch nollie heelflip bomb. Lots of amazing stuff, lots of pop, lots more style than his mag minute for sure. And lets not forget that Gonzalez/Sandoval/Gravette/Provost/Elmendorf sized 5050 at the end.

While I'm on the subject of Toy Machine, I'm a bit upset at the shortness of some of the parts, ex: Provost, Bennett, Marks, Layton, but each part is pretty damn gnarly, aside from the sometimes obnoxious soundtrack(Collin's part). Bennett had some of my favorite clips of the vid, notably his switch polejam 5050, and Marks, despite a friend's criticism, had some absolutely amazing clips. A switch tre lipslide done a good bit bigger and cleaner than my beloved Guy Mariano is hidden in there, along with a Carlsbad nollie inwards that isn't on par with my favorite Carlsbad clip of all time (Billy's switch big heel) but still damn good. Provost had alot of his signature tricks from Stay Gold in his, such as the ditch front feeble, big frontside flip, and a nice and long tre and hardflip. As for J-Lay, well the boy has big boy pop to match his big boy stature, and he's the owner of the best switch tre in skateboarding in my eyes.

But Leo.



Mr. Skater of the Year 2010, I feel like some of his clips were throwaway from Stay Gold, particularly the front board on the bank to hipped red rail, although that trick itself is still very, very sick and quite unpredictable, from personal experience. I believe my favorite aspect of this part is his use of flip tricks, which were glaringly absent in his masterful Emerica part. However, Toy Machine made a mistake when it comes to this skinny fellow, and they showed WAY too much of his pushing. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but it looks out of place compared to his perfect skating, like he's not leaning into it or stretching his leg in front of him or something along those lines. Anyways, that's not to detract from the tall 5-0 and smith near the end, or that blue rail front feebs, but it does piss me off just watching him push up to that flyout to curb. Highlight clips include the lofty backside flip over the rail to the hill, the back 180 on the tall yellow railed flyout, and his crook pop-out, mid-double set.

One final observation about Brainwash; did the whole team go through a flyout fad the past couple years?

No comments:

Post a Comment